Simple aloo gobi bhaji: A light, simple and quick dish prepared using cauliflower, potato and very few spices. This is probably the simplest version of cauliflower recipe. As there is no such elaborate cooking involved. If you are looking for a super easy cauliflower dish... you can give this dish a go.
Cauliflower is a favorite of many. It comprises several health-benefits antioxidants and vitamins and also low in fat and cholesterol. Hence suitable for every age group.
Aloo gobi bhaji is a regular and very popular side dish served in Indian homes. Serve this dry aloo gobi with roti, paratha or rice and dal and enjoy the meal. Even you can pack it as a sides to any dish of choice in kids lunch box. It is also a onion-garlic free recipe. Hence it can be relished on those fasting days. Another gobi recipe I have posted in this blog you may like aloo gobi dhaba style.
How to Make this Aloo Gobi Bhaji
To make this simple aloo gobi, the basic ingredients required are cauliflower, potato, oil, salt, turmeric, kalonji or nigella seeds, and green chili. If you don't have kalonji use cumin seeds. Other than that just to enhance the flavor you need some chili powder, cumin powder, and chopped coriander leaves. However, the addition of coriander leaves is completely optional. So do whatever suitable for you. Let's get into the recipe.
Some more vegetable and potato sides:
If you try this recipe, please leave a feedback and rating. You can also tag me @spoonofflavor on Instagram.
Simple Aloo Gobi Bhaji | Aloo Gobi Recipe
- Pan with lid
- 1 gobi/cauliflower medium size
- 2-3 tablespoon oil
- 1 big size potato
- 1 teaspoon nigella seed/kalonji
- 2 slit green chilies
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- A few finely chopped coriander leaves optional
- Firstly, cut the cauliflower and potato evenly into medium to small size pieces.
- Rinse the potato cubes well. Drain extra water and set aside.
- Put the florets in hot water and add turmeric and set aside for 3-4 minutes before cooking to get rid of any germs and insects.
- Once done wash well and put them in a colander to drain excess water.
- Heat oil in a pan/kadhai. Once the oil is hot enough add nigella seeds/kalonji and slitted green chili. Stir for some seconds.
- Add cauliflower florets and potatoes. Stir for 1-2 minutes over a high flame.
- Add salt and turmeric powder. Stir to mix. Cover and cook on medium flame until the veggies 90% cooked. Remember not to overcook it.
- Now open the lid. At this point add red chili powder and cumin powder. Stir to mix. Cook for 5-6 minutes more over medium to high flame until golden spots start to appear. Stir in between.
- Add chopped coriander leaves if using and stir to mix.
- Aloo gobi bhaji is ready to serve. Serve hot with rice or roti.