Arhar Dal Palak aka dal palak is a simple and nutritious dal made with
Skinned and split pigeon peas is also called Toor dal, Tuvar dal, Thuvaram Paruppu, Kandhi Pappu in India. It is one of the most common dal prepared in Indian homes. A major source of vegetarian protein. It is also high in fiber. Hence good for digestion.
The combination of toor dal and spinach is a healthy up-gradation to the plain dal.
Making this dal palak recipe is so easy, you only need to do is pressure cook the dal and palak together and give it a
The spinach dal has to be slightly thick. Hence it is important to make sure you don't add too much water while cooking. No ghee/clarified butter has been added here. I love to keep this light. Feel free to use ghee or butter if you like. The addition of dry red chili is optional. Adjust heat as per your taste buds.
This palak dal will complement most of the Indian meal and will go perfectly with rice, roti, paratha, or naan.
More dal recipes:
If you try this recipe, please leave a feedback and rating. You can also tag me @spoonofflavor on Instagram.
Arhar Dal Palak | Spinach Dal
INGREDIENTS ( 1 CUP = 240 ML )
For cooking the dal
- 1 cup arhar dal/toor dal/split pigeon peas
- 250 grams palak/spinach
- 2.5 cups water
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt or as required
- ½ teaspoon oil
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium-sized onion finely chopped
- 6-7 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1 medium-sized tomato finely chopped
- 1 dry red chili optional
- ¼ teaspoon salt or as required
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida/hing
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
Preparing the dal
- Wash arhar dal properly and soak it in water for half an hour.
- Clean and wash the spinach leaves very well in running water. Drain all excess water. Then trim the palak leaves, chop them roughly, and set aside.
- Drain water from the dal and transfer to a pressure cooker. Add chopped spinach, salt, turmeric powder, oil, and water. Now cook for 3 whistles over a medium flame.
- Once done turn off the flame and let the cooker releases its pressure.
Tempering the Dal palak
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds.
- Once cumin seeds start spluttering add chopped garlic and saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped onion and chopped green chili.
- Stir continuously until the onions turn slightly golden.
- Add chopped tomatoes, salt, asafoetida, and dry red chili. Saute for some seconds. Then cover and cook for a minute until tomatoes soften.
- Once done fry for a minute more. Then add red chili powder. Stir to mix and immediately add pressure cooked dal and palak.
- Stir to mix and adjust seasoning.
- Turn off the flame. Dal palak is ready to serve. Serve hot with piping hot rice, roti, or paratha.