Bombil fish fry recipe is very popular among seafood lovers. A lip-smacking, super delicious recipe. In which marinated bombil or Bombay duck or lotte fish is shallowly fried coated with rice flour and rawa mixture. The fish is very soft, contains a lot of water. So while frying it need to handle carefully or else it will break down into pieces. It goes best with some steamed rice accompanied by any curry you prefer. It can also be enjoyed as an appetizer accompanied with some salad or some onion wedges.
- 6 fresh bombils/Bombay duck
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for shallow frying
For masala paste
- 6-7 garlic cloves
- 1-inch ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 green chili
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup rawa or suji
- Clean the fish. Slit them from one side and flatten them. Pat dry with a kitchen tissue paper or kitchen towel.
- Marinate the fish with salt, lime juice, masala paste(ginger, garlic, green chili, cumin) turmeric powder, and red chili powder. Mix well with your hand and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Mix together rice flour and suji/rawa in a flat plate.
- Place the each marinated fish on the rice flour and rawa mix. Now pat it gently until both sides coated nicely.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan. Add one by one fish to the hot oil. Fry 3-4 at a time. Do not overcrowd the pan. Shallow fry them on the medium flame from both the sides until they become crisp and golden brown. If needed add a little bit of oil in between.
- Bombil fish fry recipe is ready to serve. Serve hot with some onion wedges.