Channar Payesh is a delectable Bengali dessert prepared with cottage cheese, milk and flavored with cardamom powder. A twisted version of the regular payesh.
Payesh is a kind of kheer or milk pudding prepared on festive occasions like Durga Puja, Dussehra, Diwali and so on. Wherever chanar payesh is made using paneer or chana (Bengali) and milk. tastes heavenly and can be relished at any time.
The best part is it is easy-to-make and made using very few ingredients. Homemade paneer works best for this payesh recipe. Here I have prepared using fresh homemade paneer. However, if you are running out of time you can use the store-bought one instead. It is a gluten free recipe and low-fat milk can also be used to make it even lighter.
Serve this channar payesh chilled in any festival, special occaisions or gatherings and surprise your loved ones. You can even serve the melt-in-mouth kheer as an after meal dessert.
Few similar recipes you can check.
Channar Payesh | Paneer Payesh Recipe
INGREDIENTS ( 1 CUP = 250 ML )
- 1- liter milk
- 1/2 cup curd
- 1 thin cheesecloth
- 200 grams paneer/cottage cheese
- 1- liter milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly made green cardamom powder
- 10 cashews
- 10 raisins
- For Garnishing
- Few chopped pistachios
To make the paneer
- Heat milk in a pan. Once the milk starts boiling reduce the flame and add curd little by little and gently stir until the milk begins to curdle or milk and water separate. Turn off the flame.
- Strain the curdled milk in a cheesecloth and place a heavyweight on it to remove excess water and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Homemade paneer is ready. Now crumble the paneer with your hand and set it aside.
To prepare the channar payesh
- Heat milk in a wide nonstick pan or thick bottomed pan. It helps the milk to evaporate quickly.
- Once the milk starts boiling, reduce the flame to the lower medium. Let the milk cook until it reduces to 1/3 of its original quantity with stirring occasionally. In between scrape the sides to collect the thickened layer.
- Once done add the crumbled paneer, sugar, cashews, raisins and cardamom powder.
- Let it the milk for another 7-8 minutes over simmer flame with stirring continuously. Just make sure it should not be burnt from the bottom.
- Remove from flame and let it cools down.
- Serve warm or chilled by garnishing with few chopped pistachios on top.