Dim posto is a popular Bengali recipe, made with boiled egg, poppy seed paste, and some basic Indian spices easily available in any kitchen pantry. The soft-boiled eggs in creamy poppy seeds gravy with a touch of spices is a great side dish for lunch and dinner. This Bengali egg posto will be definitely your go-to recipe if you are fond of eggs.
While using poppy seeds, do make sure they are fresh, or else they will make the taste bitter. Getting a smooth poppy seed
This dim posto curry is a perfect everyday side dish pairs best with steaming hot rice. It can also be enjoyed with chapati, paratha, or even pulao.
Some more Bengali side dish recipes
If you try this recipe, please leave a feedback and rating. You can also tag me @spoonofflavor on Instagram.
Bengali Dim Posto Curry/Egg Curry with Poppy Seeds
INGREDIENTS ( 1 CUP = 250 ML )
- 4 eggs , boiled and peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick (approx 2 inches long)
- 1 medium onion grated
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tbsp tomato chopped
- 4 tbsp poppy seeds paste
- 1 dry red chili
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 cup hot water or less
- Heat 2 tbsp mustard oil in a pan. Add boiled eggs and a pinch of turmeric powder. The turmeric will give it a nice color. Saute for 1 minute or until they are slightly golden. Then set them aside.
- Add remaining oil followed by green cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, and dry red chili. Saute for some seconds or until you get a nice aroma.
- Add remaining oil followed by sugar. Once sugar starts caramelizing add green cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, and dry red chili. Saute for some seconds.
- Add grated onion. Saute until onion turns golden.
- Once done add ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, and chili powder. Saute for 2 minutes or until the raw smell of ginger-garlic goes.
- Add chopped tomato, salt, and cumin powder. Saute 2 minutes more over medium flame or until the tomatoes get mushy.
- Add fried egg. Saute for a minute.
- Add a cup of water and stir well. Cover the lid and cook for another minute.
- Now add poppy seeds paste. Stir well and cover and cook for 7-8 minutes over low to medium flame or until the rawness of poppy seeds goes away.
- Once done add chopped fresh coriander leaves.
- Egg posto curry is ready to serve. Serve hot with steaming hot rice or chapati.