Katla fish head curry: This curry is a simple, delightful fish head recipe made with katla fish head and a melange of common Indian spices. This can be a crowd pleaser lunch or dinner dish when served with piping hot rice. The curry can also be prepared with Rohu fish head.
Fish head curry is considered a delicacy in Eastern India. In the olden days, no occasion was complete without a fish head dish on the menu. Being born and brought up in Odisha and staying in Calcutta, fish has always been an integral part of my diet. Fish curry for lunch is a regular affair. Many recipes are made using Katla and Rohu fish head. This is one of my favorites.
Katla/Catla (Labeo catla), is a South Asia freshwater fish commonly farmed and is a native to lakes and rivers in Eastern and Northern states of India, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan. In Nepal and in neighboring Indian regions up to Odisha, it is called Bhakura. (Source: Encyclopedia)
Katla Fish Head Curry
Katla fish has a big head and is very nutritious. Depending on the size of the fish head you can even ask the seller to cut it into pieces. Rohu fish head can also be used in place of katla to make this curry. For the best taste, you need to fry the fish head pieces well until golden brown from all sides. Usually, I fry the fish heads with the lid on and turn the sides in between, as fish heads splutter a lot while frying. It also helps to cook the fish heads well from inside and reduces the frying time. My secret ingredient in this curry is fenugreek seeds. Though it is very less in quantity. But it really takes this curry to the next level. Hence do not skip this step. If you want a nonspicy version you can even use kashmiri red chili instead.
Serve this katla fish head curry with piping hot rice and enjoy the meal.
Few similar recipes you can check
Katla Fish Head curry | Simple Fish Head Curry
INGREDIENTS ( 1 CUP = 250 ML )
- 1 katla fish head cut into 2 pieces (fish head of a 2 kg fish)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt as required
- 3 tbsp mustard oil for frying the fish head or as required
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 finely chopped onion medium size
- 1 finely chopped tomato medium size
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Salt as required
For Spice/Masala Paste
- 1 small onion roughly chopped
- 6-7 garlic
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 6 no of fenugreek seeds
- 1 dry red chili deseeded
- 1/5 tsp salt
- Wash the fish head very well and drain extra water if any. Rub salt and turmeric powder and rest it for 15-20 minutes.
- In the meanwhile soak the cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, and dry red chili in hot water for 15 minutes.
- Then strain them and prepare a smooth paste by adding onion, ginger, garlic and a pinch of salt. Then transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a kadhai. Once the kadhai heat up adds mustard oil and wait until the oil turns hot.
- Add fish heads. Cover and fry until all sides turn golden brown. In between turn sides. Make sure they are well fried. Then transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Heat the same karahi by adding the remaining oil. Once the oil turns hot add bay leaf and chopped onions.
- Saute the onion over medium flame until turns golden.
- Add the spice paste, turmeric powder, and coriander powder. Saute for a few minutes or until oil leaves the masala.
- Add chopped tomato and salt. Saute for another few minutes until oil separates.
- Add a cup of warm water and let it boil. Once the water starts boiling add the fried fish heads. Cover and cook over lower medium flame for 7-8 minutes.
- Once done switch off the flame and set aside.
- Katla fish head curry is ready to serve. Serve hot.