Habisa Dalma is a very special, traditional recipe of Odisha. Which is prepared in the month of Kartik and is served with arua anna (cooked raw rice).
Kartik is considered to be the most sacred among all the twelve months of the year. Many odias observe ‘habisa’ in which only ‘satwik’ (veg without onion, garlic, and mustard oil) food is taken. It is a special kind of dal which is of medium thick consistency and prepared without turmeric. It normally serves with ‘arua anna’ (cooked raw rice). However, it tastes great and could be served with any rice, roti or paratha.
On the auspicious day of ‘Kartika Purnima’ (the last day of the month-the full moon day) men, women and children across Odisha head for the nearest water body to set afloat ‘boitas’ (toy boats made of banana branches, sticks, and paper) with lamp, flowers, fruits and coins. It is named as ‘Boita Bandana’.
Now let’s see how to make this habisa dalma.
INGREDIENTS FOR HABISA DALMA
- 1 cup split moong dal
- 2 tablespoons refined oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 dry red chilies
- 1/4th cup grated coconut
- water as required
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 tablespoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 raw banana cut in cubes
- 1/2 cup pumpkin cut in cubes
- 1 radish cut in cubes
- 2 arbi ( taro root ) cut in cubes
- 1/2 cup raw papaya cut in cubes
- 2 small pieces of an elephant apple/ ouu in Oriya/ chalta in Bengali
- Roasted cumin powder
- Grated coconut
HOW TO MAKE HABISA DALMA RECIPE
- Wash the moong dal properly. Then soak it in water for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan. Add broken red chilies. When they change color add bay leaves and cumin seeds. let the cumin seeds sizzle. Now add moong dal and stir it for some seconds. After then add grated ginger and stir it for a minute. Then add required amount of water and mix well. let the water boil. Now add all vegetables and salt.
- Cover the lid and cook till the dal is completely cooked. Check in between.
- After the dal is cooked, turn off the flame.
- Now add 1 tablespoon ghee, roasted cumin powder, and grated coconut. Then mix well.
- Now garnish with some roasted cumin powder and grated coconut.
- Habisa dalma is ready to serve.
You may like this