Pumpkin masala with chickpea/kala chana is an easy and delicious recipe. At the same time, it is very healthy. Chickpeas are full of fibers and protein. It is a side dish which goes well with everything.
Here I have used my . You can use whatever you have. This is a no onion-garlic recipe. I have explained it in step by step. So that it will be easy for you to follow. Ingredients which I have used to make this dish are mentioned below.
500 gms of pumpkin cut into cubes
1/2 cup boiled chickpeas
1 medium size grated tomato
1 tablespoon cumin seed/1 tablespoons cumin powder
1 dry red chili
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon cumin seed
A pinch of hing/asafoetida
5 tablespoons refined oil
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
Salt to taste
1/4 cup water
- Soak the cumin seeds in water for 2 hours. Make a paste of the ginger and the cumin seeds. Add a little salt to get a smooth paste. If you want you can use cumin powder instead of cumin seeds.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add dry red chili, bay leaf, and cumin seeds. When the seeds start to crackle add hing/asafoetida.
- Now add the grated tomatoes and salt. Fry for a minute in a medium flame. Now add the masala paste, turmeric powder, chili powder, and garam masala powder. Fry for another minute. Then Add 1/4th cup of water and Mix well. Cover and cook for a minute.
- Add the pumpkin cubes and chickpeas. Saute for a minute or two. Now lower the flame and cover the lid until the pumpkin cooked. Check-in between. Remember not to overcook the pumpkin. Now turn off the flame.
- Here your delicious pumpkin masala with chickpea is ready to serve.