Restaurant style chilli chicken at home: Learn how to make succulent, juicy restaurant style chilli chicken easily at home without ajinomoto and food color!
Chilli chicken is an Indo-Chinese recipe which is very popular across the globe and is loved by all age groups. Generally, it serves as an appetizer or a side dish with fried rice or noodles. It can be prepared both dry or in gravy form. Most of us prefer to order it from restaurants, but it is quite easy to make than you think.
Chilli chicken is one of my favorite Indo-Chinese dishes. I have experimented with this in various ways. I would tell you this is the best chili chicken and is much better than the restaurants. This is made without MSG(ajinimoto) or food color. Crispy, succulent and juicy chicken pieces with chunks of onion and bell pepper are tossed with sauces and spices. It has all the flavors. A perfect balance of sweet, sour and spicy but not very hot, just an absolute treat for the tastebuds.
Serve this dish as an appetizer or starter for any party, gathering or function or pair this with noodles and fried rice for a complete delicious meal.
How to make Restaurant Style Chilli Chicken at Home
This recipe can be made with only a few steps.
- Start by cutting the chicken into bite-size pieces. Then marinate them with salt, pepper, vinegar, egg and ginger-garlic paste and leave it for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Combine them with cornflour, all-purpose flour, and oil. Deep fry the chicken in batches until crisp and golden brown.
- Combine soy sauce, ketchup, red chili sauce, and sugar in a bowl and mix cornflour and water in another bowl.
- Saute the ginger-garlic and green chili followed by onion and bell pepper.
- Stir in the cornflour mixture and toss the fried chicken with sauces.
If you have a wok you can use that or a kadai or pan can also do the job well. For more gravy increase the quantity of water while mixing with cornflour and increase the quantity of sauces as well. If you want a completely dry version, skip adding the cornflour and water mix. With all the seasoning and spices the fried chicken itself tastes so good, it can be eaten as it is without any sauce. Let’s get into the recipe.
Restaurant Style Chilli Chicken at Home | Chilli Chicken
INGREDIENTS ( 1 CUP = 250 ML )
- 500 grams boneless chicken
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour/maida
- 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp oil
- salt as required
- Oil for frying
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger and garlic
- 2 tbsp spring onions finely chopped set aside the green part for garnishing
- 1 chopped green chili
- 1/2 cup bell peppers cut into 1" chunks
- 1 large onion cut into 1" chunks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp red chili sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1/2 tsp sugar just for flavor
- 1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- Cut the chicken into small bite-size pieces.
- Combine the chicken pieces with vinegar, salt, ginger-garlic paste, and ground black pepper together in a bowl. Mix well and set aside for at least 2 hours.
- Add the egg, cornflour, all-purpose flour, and oil. Mix well.
- Heat sufficient oil in a pan. Once the oil turns hot, add chicken pieces one by one. Fry them over medium flame for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Turn sides in between. Don't over fry or they will turn hard.
- Combine soy sauce, red chili sauce, tomato ketchup, and sugar in a small bowl and set aside to use later.
- Mix the cornflour and water in a bowl and set aside for later use.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped ginger and garlic. Stir for a few seconds.
- Add chopped spring onion, chopped green chili, onion, and bell pepper chunks followed by salt and stir for 1-2 minutes over a high flame until crisp-tender. Remember not to add too much salt as the sauces have salt in them.
- Once done reduce the flame to low and add the cornflour-water mixture. Stir until the mixture slightly thickens.
- Add the sauce mix and fried chicken pieces. Stir to mix and turn off the flame.
- Sprinkle some chopped green spring onion ends and serve hot.