Ridge gourd and potato with poppy seed/Jhinge aloo posto/Jahni aloo posto is a very popular dish of Eastern India. It is an easy, healthy and super delicious vegetarian side dish. As per Wikipedia poppy seeds are a good source of iron, calcium, magnesium, and zinc. It is a no onion garlic recipe. It goes well with hot rice and some dal or else serves it hot with chapati or roti and you don’t need anything.
- 2 large ridge gourds peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 large potato peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 slit green chilies
- 4 tablespoons smooth poppy seeds paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon panch phodan/Bengal five spice mix
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida/hing
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 4 tablespoons refined oil
- Heat oil in a pan. Add bay leaf, panch phodan/ Bengal five mix, and asafoetida/hing.
- When the spices spluttered add potato cube and slit green chilies. Fry for 2 minutes in medium flame.
- Add ridge gourd cubes. Fry for some seconds.
- Add turmeric powder and salt and stir well.
- Cover and cook until the veggies 80% cooked. Check in between.
- At this point add poppy seeds paste and stir well.
- Cover and cook till it is done.
- Serve hot.