Vegan wonton soup: This is a vegan, simple, classic dish made with Chinese dumplings and broth. Learn to make this wonton soup from scratch.
With the arrival of winter, here in India, the markets are packed with fresh, colorful vegetables. This is the best time to indulge in some comforting dishes made with seasonal veggies. And nothing is more pleasing than a hot bowl of soup.
Wonton soup is one of the popular recipes from Chinese cuisine. It is also very much cherished by people all over the world. This soup is completely vegan, made with a lot of veggies.
Wonton is a kind of momo, used in various Chinese cuisines. Mainly made with wonton wrapper/sheet/skin and some filling. I love to make these wonton wrappers at home. The making of the wrapper is really fun. Even kids will enjoy this. These are also easily found in supermarkets. If you are a vegan, before buying just check if they are egg-free.
This vegan wonton soup can be a great appetizer recipe to start any meal.
Vegan Wonton Soup | Wonton Soup Recipe
INGREDIENTS ( 1 CUP = 250 ML )
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- warm water
For wonton filling
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cabbage
- 1 tbsp finely chopped carrot
- 1 tbsp finely chopped beans
- 1 tbsp finely chopped capsicum
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/3 tsp white pepper powder
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
For wonton filling
- 1/2 cup roughly diced carrot, french beans, and celery
- 4 cups water
- 1 diced small onion
- 1 smashed garlic clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 black peppercorns
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onion greens for garnishing
To make the wontons
- Combine all of the ingredients written under wonton filling together in a bowl. Mix well until they are nicely incorporated with each other and leave aside.
- Take all-purpose flour in a bowl. Add salt and mix well. Add little by little warm water at a time and knead into a smooth dough. Then cover with a wet cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions. Take a portion, dust some all-purpose flour and rolled into a thin round shape.
- Then with a knife cut this into equals square-like shapes(wrappers).
- Take one wrapper and wet the edges by using your finger with water.
- Place 1/2 teaspoon of filling just right on the middle and fold like a triangle. Press the edges to seal it. Then fold the two identical corners. So that they cross each other. Now press to seal them.
- Fill the other wonton wrappers by following the same process.
To make wonton soup
- Boil water by adding oil, carrot, french beans, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaves, and whole black peppercorns. Boil until the veggies get cooked.
- Strain the broth and again boil it by adding soy sauce, sugar, and sesame oil.
- Once the broth starts to boil, simmer the flame and add the wontons.
- Cook until the wontons get cooked.
- Once done add turn off the flame by adding freshly crushed black pepper and some chopped spring onion greens.
- Serve hot.