Stir fry kala chana is a simple, healthy, filling quick power snack prepared with black chickpeas and a few basic ingredients that can be consumed at any time of the day.
Black chickpeas are also known as Garbanzo beans or Kala chana(Hindi) belong to the legume family. These are low in fat and rich in fiber, key vitamins, and minerals. Additionally, chickpeas are high in protein. Hence these have been a popular substitute for meat in vegetarian and vegan diets.
It's my mother's recipe. I have grown up eating this as an evening snack. The best part is it can be prepared in just minutes if boiled chanas are already there with you. Even you can prepare it in advance and keep it in the refrigerator. Heat it and add seasoning just before serving or you can boil the chana in advance and sizzle at times of serving. However, this can be consumed without seasoning also.
This stir-fry kala chana can be served as an evening tea-time snack or along with any food at any time.
HOW TO MAKE STIR-FRY KALA CHANA
Making this stir-fry chickpea is very easy and quick. You need some boiled chickpeas and the other spices are readily available in any kitchen pantry. The cooking process starts with soaking the chickpeas overnight or at least 7-8 hours followed by boiling them along with water and salt. Then all you need to do is sizzling or the Indian style of tempering the cooked chickpeas with oil, dry red chili, and sliced onions. Finally, add the seasoning and serve. Just remember the sizzling needs to be crisp but not burnt.
Now you might be thinking why I am using dry red chili not the green one. The reason is that dry red chili lends a beautiful smokey tadka flavor and taste to the chana. So do not skip this. If you have to feed this to children or want to reduce the heat, use whole dry red chili or Kashmiri dry red chili(non-spicy) instead.
- To enhance the taste butter can be used instead of oil (for vegetarians)
- Roasted cumin powder and chopped coriander leaves can be used at times of seasoning.
- Any herbs of choice can also be used.
Few similar recipes you can check
Stir Fry Kala Chana
- Pressure cooker
- Frying pan
- ½ cup kala chana black chickpeas, dried
- Water to boil the kala chana
- Salt as required
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 dry red chili
- 1 thinly sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ teaspoon black salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper
- Wash kala chana well and soak them 7-8 hours or overnight in enough water.
- Now pressure cook the soaked kala chana along with water and salt until they are completely cooked.
- Once done strain the kala chana and set aside. Keep the stock to use in curries, gravies or for chapatis.
- Heat oil in a pan. Once oil turns hot add broken dry red chili. Stir for a few seconds. Make sure not to burn it.
- Now add thinly sliced onions. Saute the onions continuously over medium to high flame until they are golden and slightly caramelized.
- Add the boiled chickpeas. Stir for 1-2 minutes over a high flame. Then turn off the flame.
- Add lime juice, black salt and crushed pepper. Stir to mix and serve hot.