A few days ago I had to make a recipe with vermicelli. And I wanted something different. Then suddenly this idea came to my mind and the result was just amazing.
To make this tomato garlic
This tomato garlic vermicelli is a wholesome meal in itself. Serve this as a breakfast or pack in kids lunchbox and everyone will love this.
If you try this recipe, please leave a feedback and rating. You can also tag me @spoonofflavor on Instagram.
Tomato Garlic Sevai | Tomato Garlic Vermicelli Recipe
- 1 cup whole wheat vermicelli
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or other
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 5 tomatoes, medium size
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- salt to taste
- ⅓ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ⅓ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian mixed herb
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp water
For making the tomato puree
- Heat sufficient water in a pan by adding tomatoes and the water to boil until you see some cracks over the tomatoes.
- Pour off the water and cover them again with cold water. Peel off the skin and blend until smooth.
For preparing vermicelli
- Skip this step if you are using the roasted vermicelli. Heat a teaspoon oil in a pan. Add vermicelli. Saute continuously over a low flame until the vermicelli turns golden.
- Once done transfer to a plate or bowl to stop the cooking process and set aside.
- Heat sufficient water in a pan by adding salt. Once water starts to boil, add roasted vermicelli. The water has to be slightly salty.
- Let it cook until vermicelli is done. Make sure the vermicelli should not be overcooked.
- Drain the vermicelli and set aside.
For making Garlic Tomato Vermicelli
- Heat oil in a pan. Add oregano and chopped garlic saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped onion. Saute until onion slightly changes its color.
- Once done add tomato puree followed by salt, sugar, red chilli powder and black pepper powder. Stir to mix.
- Cover and cook until tomatoes leave oil.
- Add 1-2 tablespoon water and stir well.
- Add the vermicelli. Carefully stir to mix and let it cook for a minute.
- Finally, add red chilli flakes and Italian mixed herb and mix well.
- Tomato garlic sevai is ready to serve. Serve hot.
Sasmita Sahoo Samanta
This tomato garlic flavored vermicelli looks so lovely. I like this easy peasy meal option. With the addition of Italian seasoning it must taste great 🙂
My son is fond of Italian dishes and this whole wheat vermicelli with tomato and garlic flavor sounds healthy wholesome option. Lovely share !
Tomato Garlic Flavoured Vermicelli sounds so tangy and flavourful ... Addition of Italian seasoning gives lovely boost ..
I have never tried the sev with italian seasoning. I am sure the pasta like feel yet the ease of cooking makes it yummier.
Loved the recipe Geetanjali.. Vermicelli in Italian flavours!!.kids are going to love this.. beautiful color of the vermicelli..
Wow!! Interesting twist. Looks super delicious and super inviting. That color looks so beautiful.
Italian version of sevai/vermicelli! I like it! I love to use Italian herbs in any dish to amp up the flavor but have never used it with vermicelli! The color too is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing this unique twist dear!
Tomato flavour and the tomato colour are so inviting. Love twist to the usual sevai.