kachumber salad recipe: Indian kachumber salad also called cucumber-tomato-onion salad is a refreshing combination of some freshly chopped vegetables and a simple lemon/lime dressing. A 10-minute salad that goes perfectly with almost every meal.
Editors Note: This post was originally published in May 2019 & has been updated with new images & more information.
Kachumber salad is the regular Indian salad made with fresh cucumber, tomato, and onion. The best part about this salad is it doesn't contain any oil. Also, it is vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, and nut-free. It is usually served in lunch and dinner as a side dish.
It is one of my favorite go-to salads. I just love the crunch, freshness, and flavors of it.
I like cucumber with skin. Especially when using the sweeter variety. You can peel the skin if you like. Skip green chili if making this for children. To reduce the heat, you can even remove the seeds and veins while chopping.
This salad tastes best when served immediately but in case you want to make it in advance, you can chop the veggies and keep them in the refrigerator. Just before serving add all the herbs and spices and toss.
Some more salad recipes:
- fresh cucumber: use whatever you'd like. I have used green cucumbers. In India, we call it 'Desi Kheera'. They tend to be sweeter and crunchier than the other variety.
- red tomato
- fresh radish - optional
- fresh carrot - optional
- red onion
- green chili
- fresh coriander
- fresh mint - optional
- freshly roasted cumin powder
- freshly crushed pepper
- sea salt
- black salt
- lemon or lime juice
[Full list of ingredients with measurement is located in the recipe card below.]
How Do you Make this Cucumber, Tomato, & Onion Salad
- Take all chopped cucumber, tomato, carrot, radish, onion, green chili, coriander, and mint in a bowl. *Make sure to wash and drain well before chopping.
- Add lime juice, roasted cumin powder, crushed pepper, black salt, and salt. Toss everything well, check for the seasoning, and serve immediately.
- Kachumber salad is served with almost every Indian meal. You can also serve it along with spicy curries, biryani, pulao, or any flavored rice.
- It could be used as a filling in wraps, roll, taco, sandwich, or burger.
- You can also pair it with spicy grilled foods, tandoori, kebabs, chips, crackers, or nachos.
- Sometimes I also add thick curd/yogurt with a pinch of sugar in it and make it Kachumber raita and serve it as a dip.
Kachumber Salad Recipe | Indian Kachumber Salad
- 1 cup cucumber diced small
- ¼ cup carrot diced small (optional)
- ¼ cup radish diced small (optional)
- ¾ cup tomato diced small
- ½ cup onion thinly sliced or chopped small
- ¼ cup coriander leaves finely chopped
- a few mint leaves (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1-2 chopped green chili (remove seeds if needed)
- ¼ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly crushed black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt or as per taste
- ¼ teaspoon black salt or as per taste
- Take cucumber, tomato, carrot, radish, onion in a bowl.
- Add chopped green chili, chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves, lemon juice, black salt, salt, roasted cumin powder, crushed pepper. Combine well.
- Check the seasoning. Add more salt or lemon juice if required.
- Serve the kachumber salad immediately.
- Use fresh ingredients for the best taste.
- Always add the seasoning (salt, pepper, and spices) just before serving.