Thandai recipe: Thandai is an Indian traditional, festive drink made with milk, nuts and exotic spices. A quick recipe that tastes heavenly. It is served at times of the festival Maha Shivratri and Holi. This beverage is very popular especially in NorthWestern states of India.
What is Thandai
Thandai comes from the Hindi word ‘Thanda’. Which basically means something that is cold. Hence it is a cold, refreshing drink for summer. It is such a versatile recipe. Which can be tweaked in many different ways to suit someone’s needs and preferences.
There are many other variants of this drink. A few common among those are Kesar thandai, Badam thandai, Rose thandai, Mango thandai, and Bhang thandai. However, the basics of any thandai recipe are always the same.
Benefits of Thandai Recipe
Thandai is the best cooling and refreshing drink that rehydrates the body instantly. The medley of ingredients used in this super drink has some amount of benefits for our body. Few among those are:
- Boosts immunity
- Works as an instant energy booster
- Aids digestion
- Cools down the body
How to make Thandai Recipe
Milk is the base ingredient in this. In addition to that almonds, cashews, pistachio, poppy seeds, fennel seeds, black peppercorns, rose petals, saffron, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, sugar are also used. The making process starts with soaking the nuts and seeds in water for a few hours. Then followed by grinding into a smooth paste. Finally, the process complete by mixing with the boiled milk.
This tastes best when served chilled.
Use sugar as per your requirement. To make it more healthy you can use low-fat milk and you can also use honey as an alternative to sugar.
For a vegan version just go for any plant-based milk as a base.
Generally, I make this whenever I crave for something milk-based drink. I love it so much. I can have it any day at any time.
It tastes best when freshly made at home. Though readymade
Few more Holi recipes you may also like
If you try this recipe, please leave a feedback and rating. You can also tag me @spoonofflavor on Instagram.
Thandai Recipe | Best Homemade Thandai
INGREDIENTS ( 1 CUP = 250 ML )
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 almonds
- 6 pistachios
- 6 cashew nuts
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp melon seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp dried rose petals
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- 2 tbsp sugar or more
- few dried rose petals
- few crushed nuts
- Soak almonds, pistachios, cashews, poppy seeds, melon seeds, fennel seeds, and black peppercorns in water for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Grind the soaked ingredients with dried rose petals into a fine smooth paste. Add a little milk if needed.
- Boil the milk in a pan. Once milk starts to boil add sugar and saffron strands. Simmer the flame until sugar melts.
- Add nutmeg powder, cinnamon powder, and the ground paste. Stir continuously and let it boil for another 2-3 minutes more.
- Turn off the flame and let it cools down.
- The best homemade thandai recipe is ready to serve. Serve chilled or as it is by garnishing with dried crushed nuts and rose petals.
This post is a part of Facebook group DESI BLOGGERS CONNECT #Holikerang. Some more Holi special recipes from other members below.