Easy Subway sweet onion sauce recipe made from scratch within 15 minutes. If you love sweet onion sauce at Subway, this recipe is for you!
Subway is a popular fast-food restaurant chain that specializes in sandwiches and salads.
Sweet onion sauce is one of their signature sauce on the menu, which is a sweet and tangy onion-flavored condiment mainly added to subway sandwiches or as a salad dressing.
The recipe I am sharing is very close to what you would get at Subway restaurants. It has the perfect balance of sweet and tangy flavors. I always make this subway sweet onion teriyaki sauce to pair my Subway-style dinner - especially with chicken teriyaki sandwiches.
This easy, inexpensive, homemade Subway's sweet onion sauce/dressing recipe is so useful when you are at home and want to enjoy a copycat subway experience.
This sweet onion sauce is
- & kid-friendly
What to eat with Sweet Onion Sauce
Sweet onion sauce pairs very well with tuna, chicken, or turkey subs. However, you can use this sauce for so much more:
Spread: Use It as a spread on bread or your favorite sandwiches.
Salad dressing: Drizzle on salad to give the salad a flavor boost.
Dipping sauce: Excellent dipping sauce for roasted, grilled, or fried veggies, fish, or chicken.
Marinade: Use as a marinade for meat, chicken, and fish.
I also love using mine with chips, french fries, baked potato, paratha, and pita bread. Here are some of the great recipes that work with sweet onion sauce.
- Paneer Pakora
- Aloo Bonda
- Grilled Potato wedges
- Paneer Potato Balls
- Chicken Fry
- Gobi Pakora
- Watermelon Mango Salad
You can also check our Mayo Ketchup Sauce
Is this Sweet Onion Sauce Healthy
It is a far better alternative than store-bought sauces in terms of fat and sodium content. But it contains sugar. So, eating moderately is usually fine.
Sweet Onion Sauce Ingredients
The ingredients used in this sauce are simple and fresh. Once you have got all the ingredients ready it just takes minutes to come together. Here's all you need:
Onion: any sweet variety; Some popular sweet onion varieties include Walla walla, Texas sweets, Maui, and Vidalia. White or yellow onion will work as well.
Garlic: just a touch of fresh garlic to enhance the flavor. If fresh garlic is not available, you can use garlic powder instead.
Granulated sugar: you can also use brown sugar.
Black pepper powder: I recommend using freshly ground black pepper;
Nigella seed(also called kalonji): available in Asian grocery stores. It tastes like oregano and onion mix. It adds a hint of extra flavor. I like the flavor, but you can choose to skip it;
Lemon juice: fresh;
Salt: I use regular table salt.
Water: cold filtered water;
How to make Subway Copycat Sweet Onion Sauce
Making your sweet onion sauce is pretty simple. It only requires a handful of ingredients and takes 15 minutes or less.
- First, peel the onion and garlic, roughly chop them, and blend until smooth. Squeeze the juice using a muslin cloth and transfer to a pan or pot.
- Heat the pan. Add in water, sugar, salt, white vinegar, balsamic vinegar, black pepper, and nigella seeds, and bring the mixture to a boil until the sugar dissolves.
- Whisk ¼ cup water and cornflour together in a bowl, and make a slurry. Add cornflour slurry and stir continuously over medium flame until the sauce thickens and looks glossier.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice. Stir to mix and allow the sauce to come to room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and use when needed.
How to store
Let it cool, then transfer it to an airtight container and this subway sweet onion sauce stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 5-7 days. I would not recommend freezing it.
It is not possible to buy Subway sweet onion sauce, as it is unavailable for sale. While you can get similar kinds of sweet onion sauce or dressing of other brands at most of the major grocery store chains, including Walmart.
If you try the recipe, please take a moment to leave a comment and rating. I love hearing from you and it also helps other readers who are thinking of making the recipe.
Subway Sweet Onion Sauce Recipe
- Blender or grinder, Measuring cups & spoons, Pan or pot, A spatula
- 1 medium-size onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¾ cup water plus ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon nigella seeds/kalonji
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 teaspoon cornflour/cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice, fresh
- Peel the onion and garlic, roughly chop them, and blend until look smooth. Squeeze the juice using a muslin cloth and transfer to a pan or pot.
- Heat the pan. Add in water, sugar, salt, white vinegar, balsamic vinegar, black pepper, and nigella seeds. Bring the mixture to a boil until sugar dissolves.
- Whisk ¼ cup water and cornflour together in a bowl, and make a slurry.
- Add the cornflour slurry and stir continuously over medium flame until the sauce thickens and looks glossier.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice. Stir to mix and allow the sauce to come to room temperature.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and use when needed.